Thursday, August 12, 2010

Random Updates

Happy new month! I pray that this month brings each one of you favor, and great accomplishments! This post has been sitting on my computer for so long, and due to my procrastination, I never published it.

2 weeks ago, we had the BBQ fundraiser for the nonprofit organization I’m starting, (mentioned in a previous post.) There were so many events in NJ that day, and I’m grateful that we had an ok turnout.

Lately, I’ve been doing a lot of introspective thinking. At the singles conference I went to a few weeks ago. One of the things the speaker said that stuck with me was, “When you showcase your strength, people will forget about your weakness” meaning you have to focus on that which you are really good at, because that’s what you will naturally flourish in. A lot of times, we try to live other peoples dream. Just because Mr. A went to business school or medical school and he doesn’t have 2 heads, means you should also go ahead and do it. Don’t get me wrong, you probably can, but is that your calling? Is it what God placed you here on earth for? 

Sometimes we find ourselves struggling in a particular area with a particular thing, but fail to ask God what His opinion is about it. I’ve realized that just because it looks attractive from the outside doesn’t mean that’s what you were destined to do.

There are certain things I’ve had to accept about myself and one of them was that medical school wasn’t for me. My undergraduate education was a struggle for me, mainly because it was a period  when I was trying to figure out what to do with my life.  I struggled a lot with the science classes, but I still wanted to go to medical school. I prayed a lot, sought God’s face about the whole thing, and gradually I began to understand that God has a different plan for my life. Which I’m now realizing everyday. Public Health is my passion, specifically health policy and management and it’s something I can wake up doing everyday of my life. God’s plan in all this might not seem so clear at the moment, but I know for sure, that all this is leading somewhere!

On another note, I’ve been doing a lot of research about Nigeria’s health infrastructure, and I realize that there’s a lot that I can contribute. I’m excited! I cant wait till the non-profit takes off and start working there. I’m definitely moving back to Nigeria! Once I’m done with my Masters program, gain enough work experience and get my doctorate’s…peace out. I don’t envision myself living in the U.S. forever. In a maximum of 10 years, I'm gone…(wait, 10 years is even too long sef) But why am I so excited?? Usually, people say they’ll never go back home and live there, I'm not saying it will be easy for me to transition back to that lifestyle, but I believe it’s going to be worth it.

Yesterday, I was watching the forum that Obama had with the young African leaders and he said, “It’s up to Africans to rebuild Africa”.  Sounds cliché, but very true, we can’t keep waiting for America or some other country to rescue us from our different wahalas!! We have to get up and get ourselves out of the mess we got ourselves into in the first place!!! I’m not one to sit down and start complaining about all the things wrong with Nigeria. As a matter of fact, it gets frustrating and annoying just talking about it. I believe that we all have a role to play in helping Nigeria get back on track. One of my favorite quotes by Maya Angelou says “

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.

Random: **Im looking to move to a new apartment, my current lease is up at the end of August. I don’t want to pay more than $850 for a studio/1bedroom. In this area I live in NY, it’s almost impossible. But with God all things are possible!!!

Thank you for all your words of encouragement on my last post, I really appreciate the fact that you are reading my blog. It means a lot to me!!

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you!

    Find out what God destined you to do brings about joy and peace!

    I had the same issue when in undergrad, wanted to be a physical therapist...went to physical therapy school and I didn't do well. But thank God for revelation!

    Wish you all the best!

    And I pray that you find an apt asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haven't read this yet but thought i should dedicate a smile to you....they are free you know. thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Blessing! Indeed..thank God for revelation! Thanks, I hope I find it soon too..wow! I was totally unaware that you had a recent blog post..and omg! I'm tapping into that anointing for free tuition!!

    @ Tendayi..awwww thanks :) one back at you..no problem, hope you're feeling better?!

    ReplyDelete